General Writing and Grammar Help/Do/does and collective nouns?!

Question
Which is correct?
a. A lot of stuff bother me.
b. A lot of stuff bothers me.

"Wow, a lot of stuff bothers you." "A lot of stuff DO bother me!"
or
"Wow, a lot of stuff bothers you." "A lot of stuff DOES bother me!"

help! so confused.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Tina!

B is correct, so your second sentence "Wow, a lot of stuff bothers you." and "A lot of stuff DOES bother me!" are correct!

Stuff is a collective noun, yes, but it is a non-count collective noun, which means gramamtically, it is treated as a third person singular noun - the same as he, she and it.  That means it has to be conjugated the same way.

Anyway, I hope that helped!  Take care!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Brian