General Writing and Grammar Help/Hang one's boots up

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to hang one's boots up" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above phrase correctly?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Originally, the expression applied to cowboys -- old ones -- who no longer wanted to or felt like herding cattle.  In short, they were retiring.

Today, the phrase applies to almost anyone who is retiring or who is quitting the activities in which he has been involved.

EXAMPLES:

On his 90th birthday, the wealthy company owner decided to hang up his boots and let his sons run the business.

The rodeo performer had suffered many injuries while trying to ride bulls and to rope heifers, so he decided to hang up his boots and then find a less painful job.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt