General Writing and Grammar Help/sentence structure

Assume the following sentence:
She enrolled in the class, the same as I.

I think the above is off grammatically.  Am I correct, and is the sentence below okay instead?

She enrolled in the class, as I had.

Hi Patty!

Thanks for the great question!  This is one that confuses native speakers a lot.  Intuitively, we want to say "same as me" and yet "same as I" feels so proper and formal we often assume it must be correct.

But the truth is that "same as I" is, in fact, grammatically incorrect.

The two possible correct answers are:
1. "same as me"
2. "same as I did/had."

"As" can be either a preposition or a relative pronoun.  As a preposition, it has to be followed by an object proun: "same as ME."

As a relative pronoun, it has to be followed by a subject-verb clause: "same as I DID/HAD."

So yes, you were perfectly on the mark with your assumption.  Well done!

Hope that helped!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.