General Writing and Grammar Help/sentences

Question
5, The currents propel the salmon forward as they swim back up to their breeding grounds.
 The bad smell from the sewage leakage in the building drove out all the residents.

(1.)    What is a substitute for “propel” in the first sentence?  “Move” , “push”, “drive”, “force out” or “impel”?
(2.)     What is a substitute for “drove out” in the second?  “Repelled”,”propelled”,  “drove away”, “forced out” or “impelled”?

6. Impelled by a historic and traditional attachment, the Jewish people strove to re-establish themselves in their ancient homeland.
 The mayor thought he would rather than resign quietly than be forced out of office amid scandal.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “impelled’?  “Driven”, “compelled”, “propelled”, “motivated” or “encouraged”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “be forced out”, “be kicked out”. “be asked / compelled to leave the company””?

7. The world must cooperate now to forestall the threat of global warming.
 The army generals banned women from entering the camp.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “forestall”? “Stop”, “prevent” or “preclude” or “hinder”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “banned? “Barred”, “prohibited”, “prevented”, “banned’, or what else?

Answer

(1.) What is a substitute for “propel” in the first sentence?  “Move” , “push”, “drive”, “force out” or “impel”?

*** All of them.

(2.)  What is a substitute for “drove out” in the second?  “Repelled”,”propelled”,  “drove away”, “forced out” or “impelled”?

*** All except "impelled," which does fit the sentence.

*** I think you need to remove the "than" between "rather" and "resign."

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “impelled’?  “Driven”, “compelled”, “propelled”, “motivated” or “encouraged”?

**** All of them.  I think that "motivated" is the best, but that's just my choice.

(2.) In the second, what is a substitute for “be forced out”, “be kicked out”. “be asked / compelled to leave the company””?

*** All of them.  "Forced out" sounds the strongest.

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “forestall”? “Stop”, “prevent” or “preclude” or “hinder”?

*** All except "preclude."  You cannot preclude something that is already happening.

(2.) In the second, what is a substitute for “banned? “Barred”, “prohibited”, “prevented”, “banned’, or what else?

*** Here's a very strong one:  They FORBADE women from entering. . . .

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt