General Writing and Grammar Help/sentences

Question
1.Risky behavior like sharing needles can result in the transmission of blood diseases like Hepatitis B.
  During these ceremonies, they would pray to the gods and ask them to protect their crew and ships from the perilous sea.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “risky”? “Perilous”, “hazardous”, “precarious”or “dangerous”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “perilous”? “risky”, “hazardous”, “precarious”or “dangerous”?

2.Sleep deprivation has the same hazardous effects as being drunk.
  The road now follows the Indus Gorge, often taking a high and precarious route above the river.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “hazardous”? “Perilous”, “risky”, “precarious”or “dangerous”?
(2.   ) In the second, what is a substitute for “precarious”? “Perilous”, “hazardous”, “risky”or “dangerous”?

3.Considering the proper scope and function of science is important to those wishing to become scientists in the future.
  Humans and animals can sense a wide range of sound frequencies.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “scope”? “Range”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere”, “field” or “spectrum”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “range”? “Scope”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere” or “spectrum”?
(3.)    What does the first sentence imply?

4.One of today's greatest debates is the extent of damage global warming is causing.
The city performed a wide spectrum of arts events.

(1.)    In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “extent”? “Range”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere”, or “spectrum”?
(2.)    In the second, what is a substitute for “spectrum”? “Range”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere”, or “scope”?

Answer

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “risky”? “Perilous”, “hazardous”, “precarious”or “dangerous”?

**** All of them.  You can also use "careless" or "unhealthy."

(2.) In the second, what is a substitute for “perilous”? “risky”, “hazardous”, “precarious”or “dangerous”?

**** All of them, except "risky."  That word lacks the certainty that the others have.

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “hazardous”? “Perilous”, “risky”, “precarious”or “dangerous”?

*** All of them.

(2. ) In the second, what is a substitute for “precarious”? “Perilous”, “hazardous”, “risky”or “dangerous”?

*** All of them.

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “scope”? “Range”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere”, “field” or “spectrum”?

*** "Area" seems weak, but all the others are good.

(2.) In the second, what is a substitute for “range”? “Scope”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere” or “spectrum”?

*** All of them.

(3.) What does the first sentence imply?

*** It suggests that persons who want to become scientists should take into account the wide scope and many function of science. [In other words, they should know to what they are committing their life work.]

(1.) In the first sentence, what is a substitute for “extent”? “Range”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere”, or “spectrum”?

*** All of them.

(2.) In the second, what is a substitute for “spectrum”? “Range”, “extent”,” area”, “sphere”, or “scope”?

*** All of them.  I don't think that "performed" is the correct verb.  Cities do not have the capability of performing anything.  A wide spectrum of art events is available in the city.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt