General Writing and Grammar Help/use of 'at' as preposition

QUESTION: How is 'at' used as preposition when talking about places ?

ANSWER: I am sorry for the tardy response.  There is a glitch at AllExperts, and I did not receive a message about your question. mb

Ah!!!  Great question!  I'm so glad you asked!!!

Easy answer:  you don't use it.

This is because =at= tells you a location is going to follow.  =Where= indicates the same thing.  Both these words are adverbs; both tell you the same thing:  a location.  You don't need to tell the listener or reader twice that a location is going to be given.

wrong:  Where is he at?
right:  Where is he?

Easy-peasy.  Quicker.  Leave out =at= entirely!

QUESTION: Sorry, You didn't get my question actually.
See, we generally use 'at' in case of smaller places only.
Whereas preposition 'in' is used for bigger place.
For example, we say 'I live at Downing Street in London.
Please elaborate the difference.

=At= here tells what the address is [Downing Street].  Using =in= tells us that we are living inside something located at the address.  It could be a house, it could be a car, it could be a paper box, it could be a palace, it could be a hotel, and so forth.

Of course, we ARE living inside something at that address, but it is clumsy American English to write it this way.  

This might be correct in British English; I  do not know.  Here is an example of American vs. British English.

The British write things such as:
The team are wearing new jerseys.

The Americans would write:
The team is wearing new jerseys.  [The team is considered an entity.]

Does this answer the question?  If not, write back!  Please give me another example. mb  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis

I will answer questions having to do with grammar, plurals, punctuation, capitalization, mood, person, tense, and so on, as well as word usage and word choice. If you want a quick answer to a specific question, particularly if you wish to use formal American English for business or academic purposes (MLA), I can give you a timely response. I also can address word choice, clarity, structure, and similar concerns involving English as a second language. If you want advice of a deeper editorial nature (e.g., substantive [line] editing), please consult an Expert who offers this sort of assistance; I do not offer this sort of assistance.

I was employed as an editor for the graduate school at a major U.S. university and specialized in dissertations. I have over 200 publications in professional journals, consumer magazines, and newspapers. I am the author of five books and numerous syllabi in an arts field. I also am a freelance line editor, copy editor, and proofreader (over 40 years), and I have written or edited countless community organizations' newsletters and promotional materials.

Note: When using a word as a word in a sentence, such as: Put a period after the word dog, =dog= should be set in italics. Since I do not have access to italics here, I shall use = on either side of the word or phrase that properly should appear in italics. For the above example: Put a period after the word =dog=. Also, ~~please do not mark your questions as private~~. I will change them to public because I don't want to type the same answer twice! Thanks for your understanding.

If you submit a question to other Experts or the pool, I'd appreciate it if you would >>NOT<< submit it to me, also. It's like asking several people out on a date and choosing among those who said yes! This implies my time and particular expertise are worth nothing to you. I want to spend my time responding to those who find my qualifications germane to their question. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

Education B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa Ph.D.

I ask that you >>COME BACK TO READ MY RESPONSE<<. I've taken time to write the best response I can, so you should come back to read it! It's disheartening to respond to a question, only to see later that the person has not bothered to come back. Remember: I'm a volunteer!

I am happy to help you - that's why I volunteered - but please remember I *am* a volunteer and extend me normal courtesies, such as no multiple submissions and not bothering to come back for your answer. mb