General Writing and Grammar Help/subject wording

Question
Hi Martha Beth,

I have completed all of the English requirements for college, as far as general requirements go.

I had an Email sent to me with subject line that my husband I disagree with each other on.

Subject line as follows:

Free Waffle, Mac & Cheese and Hugo Boss Perfume | Over 80% Off Michael Kors | Up to 69%

I laughed at it thinking there was a Mac & Cheese Perfume. He said no, it's Free Waffle, Mac & Cheese and then Hugo Boss Perfume. To me it seems as if it should say: Free Waffle, Mac & Cheese and Hugo Boss. To seperate these non related items.

What is correct?

Answer
Sorry for delay.  AllExperts did not send me an email that your letter was here.

~~

It seems to me that there are 3 things:
waffle
mac & cheese
Hugo Boss perfume

The waffle may be the only free thing, or all of them may be free.  As you say, the sentence is unclear.

~~

Your question concerns the rules for lists of things (3 or more).  You can NEVER go wrong with the following rule:

Put a comma after everything in the list except, of course, the last one.  Example:

At our grand opening, you'll receive a free waffle, free mac & cheese, and a free Ferrari.

~~

Sometimes, you'll see the sentence written with out the last comma:

At our grand opening, you'll receive a free waffle, free mac & cheese and a free Ferrari.

This is considered correct, but it's not as clear as using the comma after =mac & cheese=.  You can never go wrong putting in all the commas.  Then you'll never be questioned about what you mean, AND when you are writing at the college level (and beyond), you will never have to worry that you are using "slang" grammar.

And example of slang grammar:

You'll never be a singer like me.

This should be:

You'll never be a singer as I am a singer.

Admittedly, this sounds clumsy.  These are better:

You'll never be as good at singing as I am.
I'll always be a better singer.

Example of just plain wrong (!) grammar:
Me and him went to the movies.
or
Myself and him went to the movies.

These both should be:
He and I went to the movies.

~~

=And= can be replaced with =or= in your example.

At our grand opening, you'll receive a free waffle, free mac & cheese, or a free Ferrari.

~~

I'd also like to point out that you have misspelled =separate=.

Also =to separate...items" is not a stand-alone sentence. I know what you mean, but you will lose points at college if you have something like this in your work.  

I also would identify what sort of Hugo Boss thing you'll receive!  Not the man himself!  Perhaps this was a typo and you left out a word.

Instead:

...free waffle, mac & cheese, and Hugo Boss perfume. It seems to me that I should separate these non related items.

~~

Best of luck!  I know you'll do well!  And congratulations on your ambition!
mb

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis