General Writing and Grammar Help/"away"

Question
I looked up the word "away" in the dictionary and am baffled about its usage. (adverb/adj) The sentence below sounds good for everyday communication, but I wonder if it's grammatically correct.

Mary's maternal grandparents lived far away and had seen their granddaughter only once over the years.

(NOTE:  Mary is the granddaughter)

I think of "away" as needing a "from," as in "away from."  

Is my sentence above okay, or do I have to adjust it?  Thanks.

Answer
Yes, you are correct. The sentence is correct as it stands for both written and conversational use.

=Away= is an adverb that tells where they lived.  =Far= is an adverb modifying =away=.

=Away from= is slightly different:  they once lived with Mary, but now they live elsewhere. This is in the same context as =away from home=.  (=Home= here sort of connotes a significant distance, such as another town - not the next street over.)

~~

I would not add =away= in this sentence.  It's correct just as you have it.
mb

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis