General Writing and Grammar Help/has been, was

Hope you are well. Please look at A) and B).

Do both of them mean that the building is still destroyed? And if so, what is the difference between between A) and B)? When should we use A) and when B) in our speeches?

A) the building IS destroyed

B) The building HAS BEEN destroyed

Thank you

Hello Hame,

a) is present tense in the passive voice.
b) is present perfect tense in the passive voice.

Both are correct depending on the context (meaning) that the writer wants to convey.  For the present perfect tense, the writer is trying to convey that the action is something that already happened.  The perfect tenses help the writer convey the order that things occur.  The present tense is self-explanatory.

Hope this helps,

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University