General Writing and Grammar Help/Question: Are these sentences ok?

Question
QUESTION: Hi Roy,

How are you? I hope you are fine. Your swift replies are very highly appreciated. Your answers are easy to understand and adorable. I hope that you will continue this service on this site. I want to ask a question that are these sentences punctuated correctly with commas:-

1) "First of all, when I came back home previously, you asked me for dinner. In reality, I was not in the mood for dinner."

2) "But the problem is not solved here, in fact, the problem is worsened."

3) "I am a researcher, and during my research, I found something very contrary to what these scholars believe."

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: 1) "First of all, when I came back home previously, you asked me for dinner. In reality, I was not in the mood for dinner."

1) is OK

2) Separate sentence - "In fact, the problem is worsened."

3) No comma required after "research"

Hope that helps

http://www.mantex.co.uk/2009/08/31/english-language-commas/

QUESTION: Thanks a lot Roy for your answer. In the third sentence, you said that there should be no comma after research. Can you explain why there shouldn't be a comma after "research"? For example, if write a sentence:-

"During my research, I found something very contrary to what these scholars believe."

Shouldn't there be a comma after "research" in the sentence.

Secondly, is the comma compulsory, optional, or necessary in the following sentences:-

1) "I would like to know why some people set off sentences with commas, as mentioned in the question" (Comma before "as")

2) "I would like to know why some people set off sentences with commas as mentioned in the question" (No comma before "as")

3) Comma is optional.

Thanks a lot.

ANSWER: The comma was not necessary in 3)

In your follow up question it IS necessary, because you have changed the sentence :-)

1) is correct

2) is acceptable - but 1) is preferable

3) Yes - optional here

QUESTION: Hey Roy,

Thanks a lot for your answers. You said that comma after "research" is unnecessary. But even for the sake of argument if I put a comma after "research", will my sentence become completely wrong?

"I am a researcher, and during my research, I found something very contrary to what these scholars believe."

Thanks.

Answer
There isn't a simple right/wrong answer to this question

It's a question partly of taste, partly of where pauses need to be indicated

In this statement, the first comma is optional

the second is not necessary

cheers

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson