General Writing and Grammar Help/writing

I am in an American International School, and I am Arab. I used to study in a french school, and recently moved to the American school. I've been there for 3 years and Im not as good as others in my school in vocab and sentence structure. I have a 92 percent in English which isn't good at all since Im going for full IB this year.
I took language and literature and what's hard for me is the essay or research paper. I dont have enough vocab and i dont really know how to write a hook and a topic sentence. Also I lack creativity in my essay. I would like to spark my essay and make it flow. I really dont know how and I am really scared. I currently have a 3.99 GPA which i am not very pleased of and I am afraid that i might go down because IB english is really hard. I really would love to improve my style of writing.

Thank you, Zeina.

Hello Zeina,

I understand your concern about wanting to improve your writing.  The good news is that with practice, your writing will improve. I can recommend some sources that may help you improve.

1.  The Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL).  This is a good source for basic writing information with many topics including English as a Second Language.  The site is:

2.  This is a good source as well:

3.  This is a very good reference concerning your specific question regarding hooks and topic sentences:

I suggest that you review these links and see if they will help you.

Best regards,

Dr. D  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University