General Writing and Grammar Help/mistake, fault..,

How are you? I have two questions:

1) what is the difference between "fault" and "mistake"?

2) what the difference between "Sorry, it was my mistake" and "
Sorry, it was my fault"?

Thank you so much

Hello Hame,

These a tricky questions.  The two words in #1 are almost interchangeable except that "fault" is used to imply that one accepts responsibility for the error or mistake.  Using the word "mistake" implies that I've made an error.

So, your #2 are the same... my fault--I am taking ownership for the consequences of my action.  Sorry, it was my mistake means the same as ownership is implied by the word "my."  A mistake could be my fault or not...

But, if I say, you made a mistake... it means that you have made an error.  Was it your fault?  Depends on what you did.

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University