General Writing and Grammar Help/mistake, fault..,

Question
Hi
How are you? I have two questions:

1) what is the difference between "fault" and "mistake"?

2) what the difference between "Sorry, it was my mistake" and "
Sorry, it was my fault"?

Thank you so much

Answer
Hello Hame,

These a tricky questions.  The two words in #1 are almost interchangeable except that "fault" is used to imply that one accepts responsibility for the error or mistake.  Using the word "mistake" implies that I've made an error.

So, your #2 are the same... my fault--I am taking ownership for the consequences of my action.  Sorry, it was my mistake means the same as ownership is implied by the word "my."  A mistake could be my fault or not...

But, if I say, you made a mistake... it means that you have made an error.  Was it your fault?  Depends on what you did.

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess