General Writing and Grammar Help/Regional Grammar

We live in Kansas but we are not from here. Our son's teachers and classmates all
use the phrase "take a test over [topic]" rather than "take a test  on [topic]." We have never heard this before and do not believe this is correct. We would very much value your opinion.

Thank you,

I'm so sorry this reply took so long-- I didn't receive my email notice!

You are correct: I should be; Take a test on (subject).. not "over."

This must be a regional thing, like accents are; simply incorrect English.

Just as the UK says "bonnet" for the hood of a car, and "teley" for a telephone, apparently the region you are now living in, uses "over" for actual "on."

I personally would ask the teacher to explain. I'd love to know the answer!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.