General Writing and Grammar Help/What's your opinion?

Question
Mr. Roy,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply last time!

There is a sentence:

Power was named Special Assistant to President Obama and Senior Director for Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights on the National Security Council—responsible for running the Office of Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights—positions that she held from January 2009 to March 2013.

Can we write as this:

Power was named Special Assistant to President Obama and Senior Director for Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights on the National Security Council,responsible for running the Office of Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights,positions that she held from January 2009 to March 2013.

That's, using two commas instead of two hyphens.

What's your opinion?

Best Wishes,

Walden

Answer
Apologies for delay in replying.

Power was named Special Assistant to President Obama and Senior Director for Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights on the National Security Council — responsible for running the Office of Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights—positions that she held from January 2009 to March 2013.

Can we write as this:

Yes - both of these are acceptable.

But the sentence is very long. I would put a full stop after Council, then start a new sentence with "She was responsible ..."

Best wishes  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson