You are here:

General Writing and Grammar Help/REQUEST OF EXPLANATIONS ABOUT AMERICAN ENGLISH WORDS AND PHRASES

Advertisement


Question
Could you please explain me what is a LIVING HOUSE?

I found this word in the following context that an American woman wrote me about her bad life mentioned below:

"I understand about having an elderly mother, mine is 81 and has Alzheimers Disease, and Thomas's mother is 82 and unable to live at home, she is in an assisted living home forever now."

She also wrote me this phrase listed below:

We are unable to get him the surgery he needs for his back because our share would exceed $20,000.00.  I get my insurance from my employer because it is 10 times more expensive through Obamacare. Could you also be so kind to explain me the word "SHARE" in in this context? Unfortunately I'm Italian and I strive to improve American English.

         Thank you.
         GIULIANO

Answer
Hi Giuliano, interesting questions.

The first point of clarification is that it's called an "Assisted Living Home", not a "living house". In American Culture it is very common for the elderly to be forced into "retirement homes" or "old-folks homes" or "nursing homes". These are essentially hospitals where the elderly go to live until they die. These hospitals give them their medications and such every day and the people who live there live in what is essentially a hospital room. This type of place is generally for people who have great difficulty functioning on their own and need a lot of care.  An "Assisted Living Home" is a similar concept, but it's residents are more autonomous. In these cases they are usually apartment complexes where the people live in their own apartment and can cook their own meals and live like normal. However, if they need someone to help them, they can just pick the up the phone and someone is there.

With regards to "share" in the second sentence, they are referring to what we call a "Co-pay". Here's a hypothetical example to illustrate the use. Suppose, for example, that your insurance will pay for 80% of the procedure and you have to pay for the other 20%. That 20% portion is often called a "share". So, using this example, if their share would exceed $20,000, and their copay was 20%, then the overall cost of the procedure would be $100,000 and the Insurance would pay $80,000.

I hope those explanations make sense. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

General Writing and Grammar Help

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Johnathan Clayborn

Expertise

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

Experience

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Organizations
Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

Education/Credentials
MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.