General Writing and Grammar Help/REQUEST OF EXPLANATIONS ABOUT WORSD AND PHRASES TAKEN FROM THE AMERICAN BOOK "ROSA PARKS FREEDOM RIDER" BY KEITH BRANDTH ANDJOANNE MATTERN /

Question
Could you please explain me in details what was in the times of Martin Luther King the association "BROTHERHOOD OF SLEEPING CAR PORTERS"? What does it mean "PORTER" in this case?
I have another question, that is what was a" BLACK TRADE UNION" in America?
I found these words and phrases indicated in the context below:

"They were Clifford and Virginia Durr, and Edgar D. Nixon Mr. and Mrs. Durr were white. He was a lawyer,and they were both active members of the civil rights movement.
E.D. Nixon,a black man,was regional director of the BROTHERHOOD OF SLEEPING CAR PORTERS,the first BLACK TRADE UNION in America."

Unfortunately I'm Italian and I strive to improve American English and American culture.

Thank you.
         GIULIANO

Answer
Hello Giuliano,

A porter is a person who has the job of handling baggage for railroad customers.  Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters would be an association of workers (who handle customers in a sleeping car) who are black and have banded together as a trade union.  For more information on this topic, I suggest that you visit this website: www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/stories_org_brother.html

I hope that his helps,

Dr. D  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess