General Writing and Grammar Help/Get the most out of something - make the most out of something

Dear Ted:

Welcome back to AllExperts. I hope you are fine and your recovery is coming along nicely.

My today's question is the this:

Would you please explain with the help of some examples the difference between "to get the most out of something" and "to make the most out of something"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Take care,

Dear Paolo:

I don't know how long I will be answering questions.  Everything depends on my right eye.

Here's the difference between "get the most" and "make the most."  If you GET something, you are the "receiver."  In that sense, you are passive. [The giver is the active one.]
My dad GAVE me the ball.  I RECEIVED the ball from my dad.

"Make the most," although not grammatically parallel to "get the most," has the similarity of action vs. reception.  If a person MAKES the most, he is actually performing; he is DOING something.

Look at these two sentences:

I GOT the most out of purchasing the buffet ticket.  I ate for three hours.

I MADE the most out of my visit to my hometown.  I spent all my time with my family and
my friends.

Paolo, in short, "getting" is receiving, and "making" is doing.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy