General Writing and Grammar Help/to cap or not cap...

Hi again, Ms. Balliett,

One more example that my wife and I disagree about:

"Grant!  Lee! Heel!" Shouted Vance Seymour.

On that sentance, I feel, 'shouted' should be capitalized.  She thinks it should read:  "Grant!  Lee!  Heel!" shouted Vance Seymour.

So her feeling that it's not just the question mark, but it's her contention that words after quotations like, he said, she said are not sentences, so they don't get capitallized.  I just need a rule of thump to go by...  I hope you can help.

Warmest Wishes,

J. D. Lowes

She is correct again.

It is:

"Grant!  Lee!  Heel!" shouted Vance Seymour.

When you follow dialogue, it is always lower case.

The only time it is capitalized, is when it is considered a new sentence...

"Grant! Lee! Heel." Vance Seymour shouted to the point of hoarseness, but needed them to obey.

(That is a separate sentence that is capitalized with his actions and stands alone-- not the 'shouted Vance Seymour ' that follows dialogue as to who said the dialogue.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.