General Writing and Grammar Help/to cap or not cap...

Question
Hi again, Ms. Balliett,

One more example that my wife and I disagree about:

"Grant!  Lee! Heel!" Shouted Vance Seymour.

On that sentance, I feel, 'shouted' should be capitalized.  She thinks it should read:  "Grant!  Lee!  Heel!" shouted Vance Seymour.

So her feeling that it's not just the question mark, but it's her contention that words after quotations like, he said, she said are not sentences, so they don't get capitallized.  I just need a rule of thump to go by...  I hope you can help.

Warmest Wishes,

J. D. Lowes
amazon.com/author/jdlowes

Answer
She is correct again.

It is:

"Grant!  Lee!  Heel!" shouted Vance Seymour.

When you follow dialogue, it is always lower case.

The only time it is capitalized, is when it is considered a new sentence...

Example:

"Grant! Lee! Heel." Vance Seymour shouted to the point of hoarseness, but needed them to obey.

(That is a separate sentence that is capitalized with his actions and stands alone-- not the 'shouted Vance Seymour ' that follows dialogue as to who said the dialogue.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett