General Writing and Grammar Help/If/Then conditional for tech manual

Question
Dear Mr. Nesbit,

I am writing a lengthy "New Features" guide to accompany a software upgrade that will affect thousands of customers.

The new features I'm describing provide various levels of functionality depending on how each customer uses the software for their business.  I have searched online for information about "if/then" conditionals but I can't seem to find an example similar to mine (or one that I trust).  I'm hoping you can help.

Throughout the manual, hundreds of sentences contain the following structure:  "If customer numbers were sent at the time of the request, [then] do not include them when submitting your daily invoice."

or

"If identifiers were not generated during the processing stage, [then] you must close the report manually.

In the context of both of these examples, is the word "then" necessary?

The answer will affect hundreds of pages in this manual, so I want be certain my grammar is correct.

Thank you for your assistance,

Melissa

Answer
Dear Melissa:

NOTE:  I am preparing to leave on a trip to Boston.  One of my "adopted" sons will be sworn in as a lawyer licensed to practice in Massachusetts.  I was going to reject your question, until I studied what you wrote.

*** Rarely do I get a question as well written as yours.  Your writing is excellent!

or

*** The type of conditional clause to which you refer is called a "logical deduction."  The idea of a THEN is implied in such a deduction; it does not need to be stated.  

Although using THEN is acceptable, it is unnecessary.  Since hundreds of pages will be affected, my choice would be to omit THEN.  If it isn't necessary, why include it?

Congratulations on your writing style.  Please send me more questions.  Reading what you write offsets some of the garbled, twisted sentences and paragraphs I usually get.

Ted Nesbitt

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt