General Writing and Grammar Help/lane..

How are you?
my friend says that there is no problem with using the word ALLEY in English but i am telling him not to use this word because ALLEY as far as i know refers to dirty places.. i told him to use the word LANE instead. Do you agree?

Hello Hamed,

Most people do associate the term alley with a dirty place but they are not necessarily so.  My sister accesses the rear of her house through the alley and it is very nice.  A lane makes me think of something in the country.  So, I believe if you are referring to a city environment, alley is appropriate.

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University