General Writing and Grammar Help/Size

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please eplain what "size" mean in the following sentence?

If you canít get to a spin class, try this solo workout on for size either on a stationary bike or on the real deal.

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Take care,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

It's good to hear from you.  I have missed you and your questions.

****

*** The phrase means "see if this workout fits your needs."  The phrase originally referred to the trying on of clothing.  By putting on a coat, you can see if its size is too large, too small, or just right.

Over time, trying something on for size gained the new meaning.  For instance, you can try on an automobile for size.  That has nothing to do with wearing the car.  You sit in the car to see if it feels comfortable to you.  THAT is trying it on for size.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt