General Writing and Grammar Help/anytime vs any time

Is the use of any time okay in the following?

....requested that we arrive any time after noon.

OR   ......requested that we arrive anytime after noon.

(I think anytime is best, but that in this case, it can be either one.  Thanks

Hi Patty, interesting question.

This is one of those words that's currently in a grammatical tug of war. At the moment, the general rule of thumb, according to Grammarly, seems to be:
For informal uses, use "anytime", but for formal uses, it should be "any time".

In reality, unless you are writing to a collection of English majors, I doubt most people will care very much, so use whichever one you prefer. People have been writing it both ways often enough that both are familiar.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)