General Writing and Grammar Help/Is there anybody home?

Dear Ted:

Is it "Is there anybody home" or just "Is anybody home?"

Two more questions:

1) Do you say "home" or "AT home"?

2) "Anybody" or "anyone"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Merry Christmas,

Dear Paolo:

*** Either one.  It depends on the situation.  Sometimes, they can be interchanged.  If you are standing outside a house, you might call out through the door, "Is anybody home?"  A friend may see you standing at the door and may ask you, "Is there anybody home."  I would guess that, in 99% of the cases, the two questions mean the same thing, so you can interchange them.  The one exception occurs when someone, thinking that the house is empty, calls out, "Is anybody home?"
Of course, he could use the other question just as well.

Some people prefer the first option; other people prefer the second.

Two more questions:

1) Do you say "home" or "AT home"?

*** Either one.  No one was home.  No one was AT home."  They mean the same thing.  Even if you omit "at," it is understand to be there.

2) "Anybody" or "anyone"?

*** It's your choice.  They mean the same thing.

Buon Natale!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy