General Writing and Grammar Help/Made OF - made FROM

Dear Ted:

Do you say, "something is made OF....." or "something is made FROM....."?

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Happy Holidays,

Dear Paolo:

*** They usually mean the same thing, but there is a difference in when to use each one.

From "The Cambridge Users' Dictionary" -- ‘Made from’ is often used to describe manufacturing processes . . . ‘Made of’ emphasises the inherent material or qualities of something, and has a meaning similar to ‘composed of’

If I were to ask what kind of material your shirt contains, you would tell me that it is MADE OUT OF COTTON AND SILK.  [Those are its two components.]

A log cabin is, obvious, MADE OUT OF logs.  You can say that the cabin is MADE FROM, because the logs are still logs.  They do not undergo any change.

However, a glass house is MADE FROM glass.  Glass does not appear naturally in nature, so, in order to produce glass for houses, the material must be manufactured.

Another example:  Steel is MADE FROM iron.

And another:  The skyscraper is MADE OF concrete, steel, and glass.

Here are two sites for further information.  The video is kind of "charming."

Note -- Some clever person claimed that "cotton candy" is both MADE OF and MADE FROM sugar.
There is no argument from me.

Happy Holidays, my friend.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy