General Writing and Grammar Help/Only after

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is correct and natural?

1) Only after you have finished your homework can you play.

2) Only after you have finished your homework you can play.

Also, would you please give me some other examples of sentences beginning with "only after"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The first sentence is correct.  The wording of the second is troubling.  You would have
to change the second sentence to this:  You can play only after you have finished your homework.

*** I know this seems odd, but sometimes the word order in a sentence is very important.

1.  Only after the catastrophic defeat of the Confederate troops did the "War between the States" come to an end.

2.  Only after the ballots were counted three times was James declared the winner.

3.  Only after the roasted chicken has been allowed to "rest" for a few minutes should it be carved and served.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt