General Writing and Grammar Help/On the run - in the running

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "on the run" and "in the running"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As Always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Happy holidays,
Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

**** There is a big difference.

ON THE RUN -- usual meaning of phrase is to flee from the police or other authorities.  Another variation is "on the lam."

The terrorists in France crossed into Belgium where they were on the run from the police.

The local authorities announced an "all points bulletin" for the suspected burglars, who were on the run after the bank robbery.

IN THE RUNNING -- means someone or something is STILL being considered for a position; is still a candidate.

Although Bernie Sanders has no hope of beating Hillary Clinton, he is still in the running for the Democratic nomination.

Over one hundred young women are in the running for the title of Miss Universe.

Ted

Happy Holidays to you, too.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt