General Writing and Grammar Help/Strip off, strip out of

Question
Dear Ted:

Do the following phrases "to strip out of one's clothes" and "to strip off (of) one's clothes" make sense in English?

If so, when are they used and do they mean the same thing?

Also, would you please give me some examples of how to use them correctly?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** They are used often, and they mean the same thing.  I would guess that "strip off" is used more frequently.  Sometimes, just the word "strip" is used:  I want you to go into the examination room and strip.

EXAMPLES:

Stripping out of one's clothing is the primary feature of burlesque shows.

The boys went into the locker room to strip off their uniforms.

The man who stripped out of his clothes in the park was arrested for public exposure.

There is a practice unique to soccer games:  The winning team strips off their shirts.

*** Paolo, you can interchange the two phrases in my examples.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt