General Writing and Grammar Help/Let's walk - Let's get walking

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "Let's walk" and "Let's get walking"?

If so, when do you use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, would you please explain with the help of a couple of examples when you use the structure "get + gerund"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when do you use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Essentially, there is no difference between the two, and they are often interchanged.

Here are two examples that will show the slight difference:

LET'S WALK -- A couple is sitting at home with nothing to do.  One of them says, "I know something we can do!  Let's walk."  [Take a walk]

LET'S GET WALKING -- The couple has decided to talk a walk, but the girl wants to brush her hair and fix her makeup.  Then, she remembers a few more things to do before they go for their walk.  The frustrated boy is impatient.  He says, "Let's get walking."

*** The slight difference is that in the case of "Let's get walking," they have already decided what to do, but they have not yet done it.  When the boy says, "Let's get walking," he is urging her to hurry up so that they can begin their walk.

*** But, as I said, the phrases are often interchanged.  

1.  We will not be prepared for the exam if we do not get studying.

2.  When he realized that he was going to be late, John finally got moving.

3.  At the beginning of the test, the teacher told her students, "Get going."

Happy New Year.

Or . . .  Auguri per un felice 2016.  [I hope that's right!]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt