General Writing and Grammar Help/Be over - be over and done with

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "to be over" and "to be over and done with"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

As Always, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Take care,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The phrases mean the same thing.  The second phrase, with the additional words, sounds much more certain or final.  By "final," I mean that one will never face the situation agaon.

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

EXAMPLES:

I will be happy when winter is over.

The dry season was finally over, and the rains brought relief to the crops and other plants.

My math requirements are finished.  I am so happy that I am over and done with anything to do with mathematics.

Jane slapped John's face and shouted, "I am over and done with you!"

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt