General Writing and Grammar Help/This is it!

Question
Dear Ted:

When do you use "This is it!"?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Is it correct to use a question mark in the first question

Answer
Dear Paolo:

When do you use "This is it!"?

Would you please give me some examples?

**** This expression -- or exclamation -- is used when you have found something you have been looking for.

EXAMPLES:

You have been searching the library's book shelves for a long time, looking for a certain book.  When you finally find it, you say "This is it!"

Mary:  Jane assured me that the little restaurant was somewhere along this side street.
John:  I don't think we'll ever find it.
Mary:  Wait!  This is it!

The old Greek word "eureka" means the same thing.  The literal translation is "I have found it!"  Archimedes reportedly proclaimed "Eureka! Eureka!" (i.e. twice) after he had stepped into a bath and noticed that the water level rose whereupon he suddenly understood that the volume of water displaced must be equal to the volume of the part of his body he had submerged.

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

*** Yes, it is.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt