General Writing and Grammar Help/Indirect Objects

Question
What are the indirect objects (IO) in the following sentences?

1. I gave her directions to the train station.
MY ASSUMPTION - only "her" is the IO and "to the train station" is a prepositional phrase functioning as adverb of location

2. I forgot the answer to the question.
MY ASSUMPTION - no IO here, only a prepositional phrase "to the question" which functions as adjective.

3. A classmate told her peers the answers to the mid-term exam.
MY ASSUMPTION - only "her peers" is the IO and "to the mid-term exam" is a prepositional phrase functioning as adjective.

4. He offered me money for the grammar book.
MY ASSUMPTION - only "me" is the IO and "for the grammar book" is a prepositional phrase functioning as adjective.

Answer
Hi Neldis,

1. The IO is "her".  I gave directions is the root sentence. I (subject) + gave (verb) = directions (DO), thus "her" is the IO.

2. the IO is "the question". I forgot the answer is the root sentence. I (subject) + forgot (verb) = the answer (DO).  "to" is the prepositional phrase which reveals the IO, the question.

3. "her peers" is the IO. Your assumption is correct.

4. "me" is the IO. your assumption is correct.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn