General Writing and Grammar Help/infinitive

I'm so embarrassed to be driving around this decrepit car!

Why is the speaker saying 'to be driving', not 'to drive'?

Because it has "to be" and to use "to be" it would need "ing" on the verb.

Look at it the way you asked:

"I'm so embarrassed to drive this decrepit car!"  <--- This is good and correct. I would rather use this sentence myself.

But, if the driver is actually driving his/her car at the time of saying that statement, then "driving" is correct because it is present tense and in action. Understand?

"To drive this car" is a statement that could be either a statement with the car stationary and not driving at the moment, or actually be driving and stating it.

Either way is correct as long as the driver is driving the car when using "to be driving."

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.