General Writing and Grammar Help/infinitive

Question
I'm so embarrassed to be driving around this decrepit car!

Why is the speaker saying 'to be driving', not 'to drive'?

Answer
Because it has "to be" and to use "to be" it would need "ing" on the verb.

Look at it the way you asked:

"I'm so embarrassed to drive this decrepit car!"  <--- This is good and correct. I would rather use this sentence myself.

But, if the driver is actually driving his/her car at the time of saying that statement, then "driving" is correct because it is present tense and in action. Understand?

"To drive this car" is a statement that could be either a statement with the car stationary and not driving at the moment, or actually be driving and stating it.

Either way is correct as long as the driver is driving the car when using "to be driving."

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett