General Writing and Grammar Help/past participle

Question
Please take a look at the following sentence that I found from a website.

"The attack appeared aimed at weakening Hamas to prevent it from claiming victory."

I think the main verb is "appeared," and the past participle is "aimed".  Is it right? If it is right, why? Please explain this. When this occurs?

Answer
The sentence is not even constructed properly.

It should be:

"The attack appeared TO BE aimed at weakening Hamas IN ORDER to prevent it from claiming victory."

"appeared" is the verb in past tense, and "aimed" is the past participle

"appear" is a verb in present tense and "aim" is the participle in present tense.

But, you cannot say "appear aimed" and must use "appear to be aimed."

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett