General Writing and Grammar Help/past participle

Please take a look at the following sentence that I found from a website.

"The attack appeared aimed at weakening Hamas to prevent it from claiming victory."

I think the main verb is "appeared," and the past participle is "aimed".  Is it right? If it is right, why? Please explain this. When this occurs?

The sentence is not even constructed properly.

It should be:

"The attack appeared TO BE aimed at weakening Hamas IN ORDER to prevent it from claiming victory."

"appeared" is the verb in past tense, and "aimed" is the past participle

"appear" is a verb in present tense and "aim" is the participle in present tense.

But, you cannot say "appear aimed" and must use "appear to be aimed."

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.