General Writing and Grammar Help/Is "play" a noun in this sentence?

Is the following sentence grammatically correct? "It is good play." Here is a longer version: "Kids are happiest in good self-directed play." "Kids are happiest when involved in good play."
If this is correct, why?  Thank you.

1) It is good play (NOUN)

2) Kids are happiest in good self-directed play (NOUN)

3) Kids are happiest when involved in good play (NOUN)

In those context, it is a noun.

A key for a verb for "play" is: plays, played, playing.

However, if you say: "Go play outside," or "Play with your friends" or "Play cards with me," it is a verb in that context.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.