General Writing and Grammar Help/subjective case and objective case

Please, help me to get rid from following problems:

1) He proposed to her, who had requited his love from the moment they met.

2) She, whom he had met only two weeks before, thought his proposal premature.

3) I am asking her, who is a doctor.

4) It is he whom they provoke to anger.

a) In first example, 'who' is indicating to 'her'. But 'who' is subjective case while 'her' is objective case. In second example 'whom' is indicating to 'she'. Here, 'she' is subjective case, where 'whom' is objective case. Are these sentences are right? If these are wrong, please give the right form them.

b) Are 3 and 4 are right? If these sentences are right, why the first and second sentences will be wrong? If they are wrong, please give the right form of them.

Hi Nousher,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding. while sentence 3 is technically correct, it's also a fragment, and the fragment changes the meaning. The way that is written now it looks like you are asking a woman "Who is a doctor?" and waiting for the woman to give you the name of the doctor. Granted, this sentence is out of context, so by itself it is confusing, but something like "I am asking her, who is a doctor, what I should do about this injury".  This suggestion is optional of course because had there been prior conversation it would have already been understood what was being asked.

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)