General Writing and Grammar Help/taking a bus vs riding a bus

Question
Hi Ms. Martha,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply last time!

Now I have another question.

Usually we say "taking a bus." But why many people say "riding a bus"
nowadays?

Thanks!

Walden

Answer
Now, here is a fine distinction if you care to draw one!

~~

=Taking a bus= means you are deciding on which mode of transportation you wish to use.  It connotes something happening in the future.  Note, however, that the verb is present tense because making the decision is happening in the present.
I am taking the bus to the market.

You also could use future tense.
I will take the bus to the museum.

~~

=Riding a bus= means you are ON the bus and connotes present tense.
(cell phone call) No, I'm not home yet.  I'm still riding the bus.

~~

Either is fine, however, in American English.  Both indicate a fluent speaker.

~~

You are very welcome.  I'm happy to help.  That's why I'm here.
mb

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis