General Writing and Grammar Help/There was

Question
I can not realize the following sentence. Please help me.

"The pole was the furthest there was."

1) What is the subject/object of "there was"?

2) What does this sentence mean? Does it "The pole was the furthest from there"?

3) Would you like to give more examples of such kind of sentences?

Answer
Hello Nousher,

If the sentence is referring to the North Pole, then the word "farthest" should be used instead of furthest.  The word further is not used to express distance.

I am not sure that the sentence means.  If it was "The pole was the farthest POINT there was," then it would mean that one could not go any further past the pole.

The object would be "the pole."

I am sorry but I cannot give you any more examples of this type of sentence.

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess