General Writing and Grammar Help/anticipatory

Question
Gandalf was quite right; they began to hear goblins noises and horrible cries far behind in the passages they had come through. That sent them on faster than ever, and as poor Bilbo could not possibly go half as fast---for dwarves can roll along at a tremendous pace, I can tell you,when they have to--they took it in turn to carry him on their backs.

1) Here, "it" ( they took it in turn......) is an anticipatory and it is referring to-carry him on their bucks. When anticipatory 'it' refers to a delayed subject, I can find out easily this subject. But when anticipatory "it" refers to object, I can not find out easily to which it is indicating. Either to a topic that has been mentioned before 'it' or to a delayed object? Would you like help me how to solve this?

2) Would anybody like to explain the meaning of "That sent them on faster ......at a tremendous pace." clearly? I tried to realize the meaning, but I didn't understand.

3) Can I write the last the last sentence ( I can tell you, when they have to ....... backs) by the following way?

"I can tell you, when they have to carry him on their backs in turn."

If I can't say this, tell me why?

4) Why a comma has been placed after "I can tell you,..."? If I don't place comma, what differences will be appeared?

A lot of thanks for your help.

Answer

The introductory IT may refer to several things in different contexts.

It   is summer = The current season   is summer.
It   is eight = The time now   is eight.
It   is a sin to kill = To kill   is a sin.
I don't like it   when it rains = I don't like rainy days.  

I would be in a better position to write more if you give specific examples where the word IT is causing you confusion.

Here, THAT refers to the horrible noises. The noises (it probably frightened them) made them hurry forward faster and faster - at a very great speed.

3) Can I write the last sentence ( I can tell you, when they have to ....... backs) by the following way?

"I can tell you, when they have to carry him on their backs in turn." If I can't say this, tell me why?

No. I can tell you   refers to the segment dwarfs can roll along at a tremendous pace when they have to (i. e., when they are compelled / obliged to move very fast) . It is an information that the author supplies, and the readers are urged to take the same as true.

I can tell you   is a parenthetical clause - cut off grammatically from the rest pf the sentence - but intimately related to it in sense and context.

For example: He is, I think, the laziest person = I think that he is the laziest person.

Grammatically, we can say he is the laziest person, and this is my opinion   - but a parenthetical insertion reads better and is more comprehensive.

General Writing and Grammar Help

SKUMAR IYER