General Writing and Grammar Help/Collectives, plurals and possesives.

Hello, Jerry. I hope you may be able to help me sort my questions out as I am a bit confused.
I am a little lost as to what the collective, plurals and possesive nouns of the words Brumby and Brolga are. Personal possession and belonging to the group. I wrote a poem yonks ago and have been going through it and believe i have misused these words and would like to correct them for my next book. I hope I have been clear in what I am after so thank you so much in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

Although Australian animals are out of my field of expertise, I'll give it a try.

The collective of brumby (feral horses) would by a herd, the plural is brumbies and the possessive is brumby's.

Brolga (crane) is brolgas in the plural and brolga's in the possessive. I'm not quite positive on this one, but I believe cranes are also called herds.

I hope this helps,

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone

I`ve taught writing or some aspect of the English language for nearly 35 years. I can answer nearly any question on grammar, usage or meanings of words above dictionary usage. An avid crossword fan and writer, I can also answer questions about business presentations and resumes.

I have worked with words all my life as a teacher of the language and as an amateur and professional writer. Communication is a vital force in my life and everyone else's.

Sigma Delta Chi, NY Press Association, NY Publishers Association

BA in English from the University of Buffalo, MEd in English from SUNY Buffalo, MA in English Literature from SUNY Buffalo. Course work in Journalism from Syracuse Univ., in Linguistics from Rutgers Univ. and Journalism from Univ. of Texas and Ohio Univesrity.

Chancellor's Award for Excellence Teaching SUNY, Distinguished Teaching Award SUNY Morrisville, Who's Who in American Journalism Education