General Writing and Grammar Help/comma

"The question of the relevance of scientific research to society is very important today, when society is confronted with a number of urgent problems."

The word 'when' is placed just after 'today' in this sentence. If 'when' refers to 'today', so why a comma is placed between 'today' and 'when'? If I want to omit comma,  will it be wrong? What differences will appear, if I don't use comma between these words?

A comma is optionally placed after a long phrase or dependent clause for easier reading. This rule is found in several grammar books.

I had almost reached my office at five minutes to ten, when my boss phoned me.

However no comma in: My boss phoned me when I had almost reached my office at five minutes to ten.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Those related to general and creative writings, usage, grammar, sentence construct, conversational English, etc. We also advise on ways to improve language skills, creative write-ups, grammar, phonetics, accent, spoken English, interview handling tips, group discussion, debating, public speaking, etc.

I have been the co-ordinator of Easy Elite English, which delas in training youth in English Speaking and Communication Skills, Writing, Public Speaking, Debating, etc. I develop teaching materials, both audio-visuals as well as text, and also am the head of faculty training.

LEWWWP, Integrated Youth Education Resource, EEE, EFL, TCW, TEL.

I have several blogs and e-publications. Published poems and short stories in national dailies, international magazines and e-zines. Author of ICSE Computer Applications - school textbook for Class X students.

After my graduation, did special research online on teaching English [spelling, pronunciation, sentence construct, etc] to elementary children. Now I have the qualification to conduct online classes. Member of several global English Learning and Teaching Centers as well as Honorary teacher at LEWWWP.

Regarded as the most helpful voluntary teacher in several sites. Got the best Faculty Trainers Award from EEE.

Now I am self-employed, other than working as a Content developer and faculty Training and Placement Head for EEE and Integrated Youth education Resource. A voluntary teacher at Learning English With World Wide Perspective.