General Writing and Grammar Help/Comma before "because"

Question
Hey Jerry,

Hi again! I've came across a very puzzling issue. I am not a native English speaker, and I am trying to understand this issue.  I can see that there are many sentences where writers place a comma before "because". On the other hand, there are many sentences where writers omit the comma before "because" in a sentence.  Let's take some example:-

1) I want to go to Maldives because it is a very beautiful place."

2) Kelly wants to pursue her career in designing because she has always been very fascinated about it.

3) I like swimming and hiking because they are fun.

The subject of "comma before because" in a sentence has confused me a lot. Respected Jerry, can you provide a very detailed and easy to understand explanation to why there should be or shouldn't be a comma before because when because COMES IN A SENTENCE?

Thanks.

Answer
Den,

All three examples are the same. "Because" in each case is a subordinate conjunction that begins a dependent clause (because they are fun).

The rule states that the natural order of an complex sentence is independent clause, followed by the dependent clause. No comma is needed. When reversed, then a comma is needed, e.g. Because they are fun, I like swimming and hiking.

I hope you can follow this explanation. I know it is quite complex but I tried to make it as simple as I could.

Jerry Leone  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone