General Writing and Grammar Help/complicated sentence

Question
The following sentence has been chosen from VOA.

Thousands are heading back to school, making public colleges and universities among the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal U.S. economy.

1) What is meant with "Thousands are heading back to school"?

2) What is meant with "in an otherwise dismal U.S. economy"? How it is linked with other parts of this sentence?

Answer

***What is "VOA" Voice of America? And, Nousher, what does that have to do with the sentence? Did you take that out of an article?

*** "Thousand are heading back to school...." is people/students.... "thousands of people are heading back to school...."

***"in an otherwise dismal US economy.." means that the US economy is dismal, bleak, not good, recession, etc. and is linked to the sentence by emphasizing that people are heading back to school which is making public colleges and universities (that is the same thing by the way) a bright part of an otherwise bleak and bad US economy in spite of it.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett