General Writing and Grammar Help/'s

Dear Mr Clayborn,
Which of the following forms are more correct, regarding the day celebrated internationally and in different countries?

Student day
Student's day
Students' day
Students day

Of course I've seen all the above forms in various contexts, but I think one should be more correct among them.
The answer to the above question may be applicable to the days celebrated for TEACHERS and WORKERS. I mean I have the same question about the day of teachers and workers.
I'd be grateful if you help me with that.

Hi Bob,

Interesting question. Grammatically, at first glance, it might seem like one of the choices with the apostrophe is correct "students' day" in particular makes sense if the day belongs to the student because the apostrophe denotes possession. However, it's not a day owned by the students, it's a day given to the students. In keeping in line with other major holidays in the US; Vetrans Day, Presidents Day, etc, the most appropriate answer should be "Students Day", as in "a day for celebrating students (plural)".  
I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)