General Writing and Grammar Help/complicated sentence

Question
"Anionic surfactants, typically lignin sulphonates produced as a by-product of the Kraft paper making process, are used extensively. These large surfactant molecules, which are several orders of magnitude larger than any disperse dye molecule, adhere to and encapsulate the large dye pigment particle and form a stable dispersion."

If I omit "several orders of magnitude", and say "which are larger than .........", this sentence makes sense to me. But due to presence of "several orders of magnitude" makes this sentence awkward to me.

Please, help me to clarify this problem.

Answer
...which are larger (or much larger / many times larger] would make the sense.

Order of magnitude is a term in science. A value like 258.27 is written as 2.5829 X 10 power 2.The 10 power 2 is called the order of magnitude.

If the size of a particle is 1586.33 [=1.58633 X 10 power 3] and of another is 15.8633 [=1.58633 X 10 power 1], the orders of magnitudes would be 10 power 3 & 10 power 1 respectively - so the former would be 10 power (3 - 1) or 100 times larger compared to the latter.

General Writing and Grammar Help

SKUMAR IYER