General Writing and Grammar Help/a versus an

Question
Which is more correct? "a half an hour" or "a half a hour"? An hour is a unit of time and isn't therefore refering to a particular hour. Are they equally acceptable? The latter sounds less natural and I heard it in a comedy routine and wasn't sure if the usage wasn't just for effect.

Answer
James,

Since the h in hour is pronounced soft, a half an hour would be correct. Rule: use a with hard sounding nouns (e.g.) knife, sword, kitchen, policeman, piano, or book.  Use an with softer beginning nouns like angel, opportunity, hour, and example.

A half an hour follows the rule, thus is correct. A half hour would also be correct, but a half a hour is a violation.

I hope that makes this clear.

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone