General Writing and Grammar Help/Comma

Is a comma necessary in the sentence below?  I think it's optional, but I'm not certain. Thanks.

The older my husband and I get, the more absent-minded we become.

Thanks very much.

It is correct to use a comma because you have stated and set up the following explanation to your set up: the nouns "husband and I" with adjective "older", then the nouns have to have an action of explanation: "the more absent-minded (noun: we i.e. husband and I) become" which is the verb.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett

Any question relating to writing and grammar. I will repeat, questions only-- not discussions or editing. If you need editing, visit my editorial site; I do not help with homework nor English classes. This is much too involved and I will not "explain" English to non-English speakers. Please rate. If you do not rate, I will need to ban you from my expertise.

I m a professional editor and published writer.

Writers of America, Professional Editors Association, Brazos Writers Group, Sisters of Crime

Many magazines

Associate Degree in Business, majoring in education currently for BA 25 years as a writer and professional editor

Shervin Hojat- "Tend Your Garden Within" and am mentioned in acknowledgements.