General Writing and Grammar Help/grammar

Question
Is the sentence below okay?  My concern is with "and there was."
I like the sound of it, but must I instead say, "and he saw the."

Suddenly, he whipped open a rarely used closet,and there was the ironing board standing boldly in front of him.
OR................
Suddenly, he whipped open a rarely used closet and saw the ironing board standing boldly in front of him.

It's a humorous piece, and the character is taken aback by finding his missing board unexpectedly in a closet. Thanks

Answer
I'm so sorry this reply took so long-- I didn't receive the email notice.

The second sentence is the most appropriate.

"Suddenly, he whipped open a rarely used closet and saw the ironing board standing boldly in front of him."

It reads smoother and flows.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett