General Writing and Grammar Help/became vs. has been

Question
Hi Martha,
I'm baffled by something in a sentence I'm writing.  See below.  I'm also showing you the sentence prior to the one I'm questioning so that you can see the overall context of what I'm trying to say.

Nancy's spinal cord was severed in a car accident in 1982.  Since then, she became wheelchair bound.
OR Since then, she has been wheelchair bound.

I also ponder "since" because it might not mean"at the moment of the accident and on"  vs.  at some point in time after the accident.  I'm trying to show from the accident and on.

OR - another way to go about this might be to just say -
Pat was permanently paralyzed from a car accident in 1982.
(Martha - I hesitate to use this because "paralyzed" can mean various parts of the body and thus it's not as specific to the wheelchair use as the above examples.)  

Thanks for your help.

Answer
=Since [whatever]= is something that has happened at one point in time and is on-going.  I don't think you have to differentiate between the few seconds of commission and the long-term effect.  =Since= is ok here.  (If you're talking about the Big Bang Theory, then, yes, you need to differentiate, but not here!)

~~

You actually have a problem with =has been/became=, and I think this might be confusing the quandary about =since=.

You should use =was wheelchair-bound= [note hyphen needed].  Or, if you are emphasizing the on-going nature of the injury result, use =has been=.  

~~

You also could say =as a result=.  This emphasizes the aftermath of the accident, which I think is your goal.  In fact, I think this is the superior choice of the three.

~~

Depending on your context and the possibly-insensitive nature of =paralyzed=, as you noted, I think =wheelchair-bound= is an excellent stand-in.
mb

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis