General Writing and Grammar Help/A strange structure

Question
Ms. Jannie,

How are you?

I read a sentence:

Those who believed that the credit card industry was largely to blame for the increased debt carried by Americans favored solutions that limited aggressive tactics to sign up cardholders who were known credit risks.

In this sentence, I don't know the writing of Americans favored solutions.

I think it is better to write  "Americans-favored solutions."

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Walden

Answer
It is very long-winded and what is considered a "run-on" sentence.

It is better as:

Favored solutions limiting cardholders with known credit risks would decrease the debt carried by Americans abusing the credit card industry.

But, to answer the "American favored solution" is incorrect. It cannot be hyphenated.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett