General Writing and Grammar Help/Grammar usage

Why is the word haircut, haircut? Why isn't it hairscut?

Hello Diana,

I think the easiest explanation is that hair is normally used as an uncountable noun in English and therefore, only the singular form is used.  Hairs is only used in the countable context when referring to individual hairs (I have too many gray hairs.)

Hope this helps,

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University